For a part of my Artist Steal unit, I did a mash up of some of my favorite animals. I did steal the pictures I used to create my mash up, but I turned them into my own art. I knew first off that i definitely wanted to use a Zebra in the image. Then I decided to also use a Giraffe and Orca Whale. I started with drawing out the zebra body, then I put the giraffes neck and head on the zebra. Then for the tail I used the Orca. I didn't know if i would want to use the zebra or the giraffe print, but i thought about how you could tell there was a giraffe but you couldn't tell there was a zebra. So then I chose the zebra print and colored the image with charcoal.
Artists Steal. In almost all works of art you steal something from someone. Technique, image, style, etc. But just because you steal something doesn't mean you cant make it something of your own. For my blackout poem, I ripped a page out of a book and used the authors words for my art. I stole not only the book, but the words too. But just because I steal doesn't mean the art isn't mine. I read over the page and then decided to start with selecting my favorite word in the first paragraph. Then after, I just tried to find words that would fit together to make sense, something that someone would be able to understand and connect to. At first. I thought Blackout Poetry was awful. But after doing a second poem, I actually started enjoying them.
For the final project of our Artist Solve Problems unit, we had to chose a limitation to set for ourselves. I couldn't think of any ideas for the project for a matter of days, but after talking with the teacher about the possibilities we had, I knew I wanted a material limitation. For a couple days I was stuck between whether to only use feathers or to only use pebbles. The teacher helped me make my decision, after telling me how he had boxes of rocks that I could use. So of course I used my available material and decided to recreate "Starry Night" out of the pebbles. I got a piece of plywood and painted it white to set a background so that if you could see through spaces in-between the rocks you wouldn't see the plain wood color. Then, I drew out where everything would go so that I would know where to place my rocks. After drawing the outline i started placing the rocks in the areas. The teacher had almost all of the colors I needed for the image, except yellow. So I gathered multiple white rocks and painted them yellow with paint. I personally think my piece turned out great, yes it could have been better and more exact, but I used the colors available to make semi-close piece. No art work is ever exact anyways, (unless you trace). The only complication I endured in this project was that after I was finished and realized I actually liked it, I didn't glue it down. I attempted pouring glue over as a top coat to keep it down, but the glue wouldn't seep through all the way so it didn't stay. During this unit I have certainly learned many new ways of art that I actually enjoy.
While looking among clothes pins, I had to make the decision of what to do for my Artist Solve Problems mini project. I spent two days sitting in class looking at the clothespin my teacher had gave me, and looking online for ideas. The project was to be inspired by the clothespin, it was from what we got out of looking at the clothespin. While looking online, I saw a mirror with decorations and that inspired my idea to make a mirror with clothespins for the outer design. For my color scheme, I chose colors that would match my room. The first day of painting I attempted making a teal blue, but I failed and got a green color. So the next day I decided to mix blue, green and white paint, in which gave me almost the exact same color of my room.To give contrast to the teal blue, I decided to use black and silver as alternating colors. The mirror itself was originally pink and I painted it white to match better with my color scheme. The project itself took about a week, and in the beginning I didn't think I would like the outcome, but I actually enjoyed the project and my final product.